If You’re Battling Parkinson’s Disease, Movement Is Medicine
Parkinson’s Disease is a chronic, progressive central nervous system disorder that results from the loss of dopamine-producing cells deep in the brain. The most common symptoms associated with PD include Tremor, Rigidity, Akinesia/Dyskinesia and Postural Instability (TRAP). Parkinson’s is the second most common neurodegenerative condition, with Alzheimer’s recognized as the most common.
For persons with PD, “movement is medicine” and exercise is crucial to combat its effects and promote function and optimal quality of life. CPT proudly offers experienced therapists and programming to fight against the effects of Parkinson’s Disease.
We offer the LSVT BIG Program with certified physical therapists in several offices!
LSVT BIG is a research-based exercise approach developed from principles of the effective Parkinson’s specific speech treatment LSVT LOUD. The LSVT Programs have been developed and scientifically researched over the past 20 years with funding from the National Institutes of Health.
LSVT BIG Treatment focus includes:
- Training larger amplitude movement (bigger movement)
- Driving intensive and high-effort practice
- Teaching the amount of effort required to produce normal movements
- Translating bigger movements into real-world, everyday activities
- Empowers people with PD with potential to improve!
LSVT Programming consists of:
- 16 sessions: 4 consecutive days a week for 4 weeks
- Individual 1-hour sessions
- Daily homework practice
- Daily carryover practice
Rock Steady Boxing Honesdale
Rock Steady Boxing (RSB) is a first-of-its-kind, Indianapolis-based nonprofit gym founded in 2006 to provide an effective form of physical exercise to people who are living with Parkinson’s. Though it may seem surprising, this non-contact boxing-inspired fitness routine is dramatically improving the ability of people with Parkinson’s to live independent lives. Rock Steady Boxing Honesdale is proud to be a certified affiliate of the Indianapolis-based program and addition to CPT.
What We Do
RSB enables people with Parkinson’s disease to fight their disease by providing non-contact boxing-style fitness programs that improve their quality-of-life and sense of efficacy and self-worth. Studies also support that intense exercise programs may be “neuro-protective,” working to delay the progression of symptoms. RSB provides encouragement through a ‘tough love” approach, inspiring maximum effort, speed, strength, balance and flexibility. Boxing works by moving your body in all planes of motion while continuously changing the routine as you progress through the workout. RSB classes have proven that anyone, at any level of Parkinson’s, can lessen their symptoms and lead a healthier/happier life.
What We Offer
- Classes: RSB Honesdale is open to “boxers” of all levels – with necessary accommodations made. The program is in its infancy with plans for expanded, level-specific programming anticipated.
- Camraderie: Friends for “fighters” and caregivers
- Knowledgeable Trainers: The program is overseen by Suzanne Atcavage, DPT, CPT owner, who has a career focus of neurological rehabilitation. All RSB Coaches are certified through RSB in Indianapolis.
What Is the Cost?
RSB Honesdale is not able to bill insurance for the classes. However, your individual insurance plan may offer you reimbursement or partial reimbursement for wellness programming. CPT is happy to contact your insurance company on your behalf to verify if you have this benefit.
Class costs are monthly as follows:
- 2x/week: $60/month
- 3x/week; $75/month
- Please note – No one will be turned away due to cost – scholarships are available!
How Do I Get Started?
Please contact CPT’s Honesdale office at 570-251-3499 to request more information or email us at Honesdale.RSBaffiliate.com. We will schedule a time for an initial assessment, discuss the program and show you the ropes! Our gym is located at 107 8th Street, Honesdale, PA 18431.